Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Waiting for test results . . .

We went to see Matthew's surgeon at 6:00 last night. He was confused as to what this rash is and what is causing it. He came up with a couple of ideas. One is that it is an allergic reaction to one of his medications so he stopped all meds. We are going to start them back one at a time. His other idea is that it could be viral and would have to run it's course. The last idea is that it's something that a blood culture would show us. For example: endocarditis, staph infection or multiple other types of infections. He debated if he should admit us for observation but decided to have us go get the blood draws and he would call us later that night if his white blood count was elevated. The blood cultures take awhile to come back. He is going to call us later today and possibly repeat the labs this afternoon to compare them to last nights. His other concern is the low grade fevers. He told us if they hit 101.5 again then we are to take him to the PICU for an admission. We hit 101.1 but Motrin took it down. No fever this morning and his rash is half gone. Confusing - I know!!! It makes me think maybe it is a medication but I have no idea.

We are praying hard and trusting God to give the doctors answers. This is such an emotional ride. So many times I would do anything to trade places with Matthew so he wouldn't have to go through all of this pain and not feeling good. It is so hard to see your child hurting. When we pulled into the hospital last night he cried and cried. He said, "I don't like my hospital." We are getting to know the lab techs and x-ray techs on a first name basis. They are so good with him and they don't seem bothered by his screaming fits. One day this will be behind us but right now it feels like it is lasting forever. We are in better spirits this morning and I know that is because God is carrying us right now. I know you have heard this a lot but we are so thankful for your prayers. It is amazing how many times we have hit our wall and you all start praying and within a few hours Matthew starts improving and we are lifted. I was reading in my Bible last night and read the verse, "I can do all things through Christ." How true, we can do this if we do it through Him.

I will update after we hear the test results.

No comments: